Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Broccoli Slaw Summer Salad

 

In the produce section of the grocery store, exists one of my secret weapons in the kitchen. Allow me to introduce you to, broccoli slaw. This package of wonder is so versatile and so fun - I have served it various ways but this is by far my favorite. With a refreshing blend of citrus, this mix of fruit and veggies will give you a cleansed feel good feeling. The taste is light, crispy, and delicious. Let's get to it!
What you will need:
A package of broccoli slaw. Looks like this and it's usually placed next to the salad kits near the produce.
Half a red onion
Tomatillos 2 (the funky looking green tomatoes with the green leafy peel around them)  
Roma tomatoes 2
The freshest cilantro you can find
1-2 tbsp. Raw honey or sugar to taste
Lemon 1
Lime 1
Cara-Cara Orange 1 (It just so happens this is the kind of orange I had in the fruit bowl. A regular orange or tangerine will do) 
Mango 1
Cinnamon
Ground ginger
Salt and Pepper
Step 1
Rinse your broccoli slaw and your veggies.  I used 3/4 of the package in a medium size bowl. Chop the tomatoes, tomatillos and onions. Salt and pepper to taste.

Step 2
Juice your citrus in a separate dish and add some raw honey or sugar. Taste to be sure it's at your desired sweetness. Season with cinnamon, and ground ginger. Stir together to make a homemade  healthy salad dressing, without chemicals or preservatives.
Step 3
Pour the dressing on the salad, coating generously throughout. Toss and refrigerate for a couple hours, letting the flavors marry and work their magic. Add a handful of fresh cilantro just before serving to prevent wilting.
As I stared at my colorful creation, I happened to glance over at a lonely mango in the fruit bowl. Oh, yes. The "I know I have something good and now I have something extraordinary" kind of feeling sets in! In the past, I've had success with pineapple, golden kiwi, pear, sweet peppers...this dish welcomes diversity. For the brave souls out there, may I suggest some jalapeño and red pepper flakes? I occasionally appreciate a good kick, but tear producing spicy is not really my "thang". Firm fruit hold up the best - I must say though, the star here, hands down is the tomatillo. With a unique sweetness and acidity, tomatillo ties the mix all together.


Here it is pictured with a side of protein, blackened mahi-mahi.


Simply glorious!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment